Urban Street Design Workshop
2021 Workshops now confirmed - details below!
Healthy cities and towns that provide safe and comfortable places to live, work, enjoy and connect ask for a street network that supports this. So, this means streets that service all users of various modes, and streets that stimulate the adoption of sustainable transport. But how do you organise the competing demands for space on our urban road corridors? How do you make streets more accessible to everyone?
That is what the new Urban Street Design workshop addresses, developed in collaboration with Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency. Guidance on multi-modal urban street design has gradually been evolving past few years. In two days, expert practitioners from Abley, MRCagney and Viastrada will introduce best practice and guidance on multi-modal urban streets design. Expertise and examples are based on international good practice and the results of local implementation and trials. Knowledge and experience will be shared via presentations and group discussions. Design exercises in groups give you the opportunity to apply the knowledge to practical situations.
Relevant topics that will be addressed:
- current regulatory and policy context for urban transport development
- principles of good street design practice in Aotearoa
- urban network planning (land use and transport integration, speed management)
- general approaches to roadway design and road space allocation
- planning and design for inclusive access
- planning and design for walking, cycling, micro-mobility and public transport
- design for motor vehicles (parking, servicing, use of design vehicles etc.)
- street design issues such as urban design, lighting and security, wayfinding, audit and review
- implementation issues such as pilots, trials and monitoring.
Time & Place:
The first workshop was held on 2–3 November 2020 in Wellington to a full house. Further workshops are now planned for:
- Christchurch: 1-2 March 2021
- Auckland: 8-9 April 2021
- Wellington: 19-20 April 2021
(all venues to be in the central city)
Workshop flyer (PDF)
- Standard rate for 2-day workshop $975 + GST
To register your interest in doing any of these workshops, please contact email@example.com and a registration form will be sent out.
In the Case of COVID restrictions, the courses will be held fully online.