The remit's recommendations are:
- To aim for facility and route continuity when designing cycle facilities at signalised intersections.
- To put particular emphasis on Stress Point treatment.
- To base design for cyclists on proper data collection.
- To benchmark signalised intersection design against the provision of the six design elements, bearing in mind that element (5) is only sometimes required / appropriate.
- To use coloured surfaces for stress point treatment.
- To mark detector loops that call traffic signal phases with markings according to AUSTROADS.
- To adopt a suitable overseas cycle design guideline.
- To initiate a working group for the review of cycle design guidelines that will result in a New Zealand addendum to the overseas guideline adopted.
2000 Traffic Management Workshop, Dunedin